From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Profile listings
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 15:26:10
1 Martin Vaeth <martin <at> mvath.de> writes:
4 > James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
5 > > This is why I was looking for a 'tool' or script that would allow me
6 > > to easily browse the default package listings for the different
7 > > arch types with a default profile.
8 >
9 > If you only want to see the <at> system set of $PROFILE, use
10 >
11 > PORTAGE_PROFILE=/usr/portage/profiles/$PROFILE4
12
13 This is set in make.conf, right? OK, I'm not familiar with this. Where do I
14 read up more on "PORTAGE_PROFILE"?
15
16 Its not in 'man portage', only briefly mentioned in 'man eix', it's
17 not in 'man make.conf ???
18
19 "https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/profile/package.provided"
20 does not match what is on my system. Is there accurate, detailed
21 info on "PORTAGE_PROFILE"?
22
23 http://code.google.com/p/craxyz-gentoo-config/source/browse/trunk/src/gentoo/etc/eixrc?r=8
24 Is what googling produces on "PORTAGE_PROFILE"
27 You've stumped me with "PORTAGE_PROFILE"; where do I read more (docs,
28 scripts, PM sources?
32 > eix -c --system
33
34 Exactly what I was looking for. "-c" is cool; eix never occurred to me.
35 $42 packages on this amd64 default-profile system.
36
37 It there a way to find the current default-profile (system) package listing
38 for other arches, from my amd64 system?
39
40 But also, 'cat /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/packages.build' yields 36
41 packages, ' eix -c --system' yields a list of 42 packages which matches
42 '/usr/portage/profiles/base/packages' with a manual count of course. I just
43 cannot ferret this out, as different lists of packages are given between 36,
44 42 36+6 = 42, but where are those other 6 packages?
45
46 Here is what is in the list from 'eix -c --system' {which seems to be
47 reading (and sorting)/usr/portage/profiles/base/packages} that is
48 not in '/usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/packages.build'
49
50 net-misc/iputils
51 sys-apps/busybox
52 sys-apps/iproute2
53 sys-apps/kbd
54 sys-apps/man-pages
55 sys-apps/openrc
56 sys-apps/util-linux
57 sys-fs/e2fsprogs
58 sys-process/procps
59 sys-process/psmisc
60 virtual/dev-manager
61 virtual/man
62 virtual/modutils
63 virtual/pager
64 virtual/service-manager
65
66 And here is the package list in
67 '/usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/packages.build' not found in the 'eix
68 -c --system' listing:
69
70 sys-devel/autoconf
71 sys-devel/automake
72 sys-devel/libtool
73 sys-apps/baselayout
74 sys-apps/makedev
75 sys-apps/net-tools
76 sys-devel/bison
77 sys-devel/flex
78 sys-devel/gettext
79 sys-devel/patch
80 virtual/pkgconfig
85 Is the differenced due to the files listed in '
86 /usr/portage/profiles/base/packages' ? It must be more complicated that
87 that. Any
88 explanation would be appreciated. Note this was 'manual parsing' so
89 there could be a mistake or 2, but, what I'm really after is
90 understanding, if the the portion of which script builds these lists
91 or how/where/why the lists are set and used.
94 James
99 [1] default/linux/amd64/13.0 *
100
101 How many packages are required, at a minimum for amd64 and where is the
102 exact list obtained from?