From: Sami Samhuri <sami@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: keys that don't create keycodes
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 03:42:05
1 * On Tue Jul-19-2005 at 04:26:05 PM +0930, Iain Buchanan said:
2 > It seems that every multimedia keyboard out there (especially the usb
3 > ones) have some or all "extra" keys that just aren't visible outside of
4 > Winblows.
5 >
6 > I have a couple of them! I've tried all the usual ways of detecting
7 > them - xev and others that do a similar thing but they just don't
8 > register as keypresses in any standard way.
9 >
10 > I would like comments on why, and what methods, if any, may be available
11 > to detect such keys. Surely with the plethora of cheap multimedia
12 > keyboards out there, there is some way.
13
14 Perhaps this blog entry[1] has some useful information for you. I jumped
15 on the same boat as Patrick and now use my Happy Hacking Lite 2 keyboard
16 and some old Honeywell AT keyboard. xbindkeys is your friend, although I
17 admit the "shortcuts" can get obscure quickly. If anyone wants a
18 multimedia keyboard I'll sell it to you cheap. Complete with
19 disabled-on-boot F1-12 keys! :P
20
21 [1] http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/flameeyes/2005/06/15/and_the_keyboard_lose_the_match
24 Sami Samhuri