From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to config-protect /sbin/rc and /sbin/functions.sh ?
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:12:43
1 On 11/11/05, Jimmy Rosen <listjiro@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi, during my recent battle with updating my system I ran across an
3 > old problem I haven't figured out.
4 >
5 > How to CONFIG_PROTECT /sbin/rc and /sbin/functions.sh ? Is there a
6 > way. Just putting them in CONFIG_PROTECT doesn't help and gentoo
7 > complains about them not beeing directories.
8 >
9 > I have a work around that is ok, to softlink them from /sbin/rc.safe
10 > and /sbin/functions.sh.safe.
11
12 I think that trying to CONFIG_PROTECT these is a _very_ bad idea.
13 They are part of baselayout, and pretty much go hand-in-hand with the
14 /etc/init.d and /lib/rcscripts scripts. If a new version of
15 baselayout is merged with an old functions.sh, you risk ending up with
16 an essentially unbootable system.
17
18 If you don't want those modified, mask out newer versions of
19 baselayout in /etc/portage/package.mask.
20
21 -Richard
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list