From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 11:45:55
1 On Mon, Aug 2, 2021, at 09:33, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
2 > What I'm trying to solve is reading the
3 > output from "emerge --depclean" one screen full at a time and at the end
4 > being asked whether or not I really want to unmerge all packages listed.
5 > And just running
6 >
7 > $ emerge --ask --depclean | less
8 >
9 > did not work when tested with a single package to be removed: the output
10 > from "emerge" was displayed on less than a single screen causing "less"
11 > to just terminate due to my setting of environment variable "LESS", but
12 > "emerge" never issued the question whether or not to continue nor did it
13 > accept an answer. I had to kill it with "^C" from the shell.
14 >
15
16 Depending what desktop environment/terminal emulator, there are a few options. You could use a terminal like gnome-terminal, konsole, etc. which have scroll so you can run `emerge -ca' and scroll to view the results. I run urxvt in i3 (not sure whether it scrolls or not), and I always run emerge inside of a tmux and use tmux's scroll to view all the output before making a decision, so you could also use tmux or screen.
17
18 Hope this helps,
19
20 Alec