From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] SSH/SSH2 hosed, partially fixed, some rubble remains
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 19:02:10
1 I've been using ssh and/or ssh2 daemons on this gentoo system for so long
2 I've forgotten
3 how I had it set up. Now it's broken, and I have no idea how it got that
4 way.
5
6 At first, it was just taking a long time to connect to this system (home)
7 from work and ask
8 for a password. Now it is still slow, but it just does not respond at all
9 after the password is
10 entered. Also at first, I imagined that I was really having a problem
11 relating to my domain
12 registration being changed, but now that has pretty much settled down. To
13 make things
14 just a bit more difficult, I've been too busy surviving a car crash and
15 dealing with associated
16 medical issues to pay enough attention to this.
17
18 Anyway, here is some of what I find in the rubble:
19 I have both
20 /etc/init.d/sshd
21 and /etc/init.d/sshd2
22
23 I can start and stop sshd, but not sshd2, which complains it's not
24 configured. File
25 timestamps indicate that sshd2 stuff has not changed since some time in
26 2004.
27 Moreover, "equery belongs" cannot locate any package that owns the sshd2
28 files.
29 The sshd files belong to net-misc/openssh-4.3_p2-r1.
30
31 AHAH! I've already solved part of the problem, because when I start sshd, I
32 get this:
33
34 treat init.d # ./sshd start
35 ldap_simple_bind_s(): Can't contact LDAP server (-1)
36 [LDAP] could not initialize ldap connection
37 * Starting sshd ...
38 ldap_simple_bind_s(): Can't contact LDAP server (-1)
39 [LDAP] could not initialize ldap
40 connection
41 [ ok ]
42 treat init.d #
43
44 This baffled me a bit. I'm not aware of having or running or using any LDAP
45 server.
46 I never have. I notice that there are some LDAP-related things in
47 sshd_config.
48
49 SOLVED speed problems when I commented these out. There's still a mystery
51 me though. I'm quite sure I did not change them myself and the last emerge
52 was
53 2 years ago according to /var/log/emerge/log. What I may have done is to
54 adjust X11
55 forwarding.
56
57 STILL TROUBLING:
58 why did LDAP get turned on? Whodunnit?
59 why do I have orphaned sshd2 things?
60
61 STILL BROKEN:
62 Although I can now "ssh" to my system, with no noticeable delays, I cannot
63 "scp" because
64 it still hangs after the password is entered. (I can just ssh and then do
65 the scp "backwards",
66 however).
67
68 Can anyone help me debug this? What else should I be looking at?
71 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD