From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] External hard drive and idle activity
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2020 01:17:06
On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 7:43 PM Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
> > And yes - the 8TB capacity gave it away - I think the largest "normal" > drives available are 4TB at present ... anything bigger must be shingled. >
I have several non-SMR drives in the 8-12TB range, shucked from those WD external drives that occasionally are on sale at Best Buy. While the drives inside are white-label people have managed to socially engineer the support team at WD to reveal that they aren't SMR. But, you definitely need to check. -- Rich