From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 20:47:58
1 James Ausmus wrote:
4 > On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > <snip>
7 >
8 > That was my problem, no keyboard or mouse. Sort of hard to do
9 > much in that situation.
10 > Dale
13 > Pshaw... ;)
14 >
15 > <ctrl>-<alt>-<F1>, or, if that doesn't work:
16 >
17 > <alt>-<SysRq>-R
18 > <alt>-<F1>
19 >
20 > Of course, method 2 only works if you have the "Magic SysRq keys" (or
21 > whatever it's called) option enabled in the kernel, and not enough
22 > people know about the Magic SysRq keys at this point...
23 >
24 > -James
25
26 In that case, ctrl alt F1 does nothing. You also need to understand
27 that most people don't even know how to use SysRq keys. I didn't and
28 had to do a hard shutdown. I had to actually pull the plug to do any
29 good. Luckily I knew how to get it to boot into single user mode so I
30 could disable hal otherwise I would be right back on the same screen
31 again with no mouse or keyboard. It would be really bad if even that
32 didn't work with devicekit. I'm not sure how it couldn't but we never
33 know do we?
34
35 I could work around it if needed but some other user may not can. What
36 if that hard shutdown corrupts a file system and causes data loss? I'm
37 not just wanting it to work better for me but for others who use Linux
38 and know even less than I do.
39
40 Dale
41