From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Question about making a tarball
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:45:04
1 I try to keep a "up to date" stage 4 tarball here in my system just in
2 case. I basically did the creation just like I would if I were booted
3 from the CD. I created /mnt/gentoo/ on my system, extracted a stage 3
4 there, then chroot in and create a stage 4 tarball. I have one weird
5 thing tho that has me confused. When it creates the stage 4 tarball, it
6 is in /mnt/gentoo. Today I unpacked the stage 4 so that I could update
7 it and when I do a tar xjpf stage4 -C /mnt/gentoo, it actually looks
8 like this, /mnt/gentoo/mnt/gentoo/ which is not what I am looking for.
9 It doesn't matter on a running system, but it would if I were trying to
10 rescue myself.
11
12 How do I tell tar when I am making the tarball to look at /mnt/gentoo/
13 as it start point, root directory if you will? I read the man page but
14 suspect I am missing it somewhere. There has to be a way since it is
15 done that way for the stage 3 tarball.
16
17 Thanks
18
19 Dale