From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I prevent gentoo-sources being installed?
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 19:12:37
1 On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 24-Mar-13 18:39, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >>> BTW why should kmod depend on kernel-sources? Or even better, why
5 >>> should be kmod installed, if I have static (non-modular) kernel?
8 >> Because your use case is not standard. The normal situation for users
9 >> with kmod installed (and you have already kmod installed, since in
10 >> your --pretend run appears as to be reinstalled) is for them to use
11 >> kernel modules. The developers cannot handle every possible
12 >> combination of configurations, so defaults are set for the least weird
13 >> cases, or the common case even.
16 > But what are kernel-sources good for after kernel has been compiled?
17 > They take some disk-space (~700MB in my case!), so I think it is
18 > quite logical to compile kernel, install & test it, and after that
19 > get rid of kernel-sources.
20 >
21 > And I still do not know what does kmod need from kernel-sources.
22 > Some part of kernel source-code? Strange is, up to now kmod was
23 > satisfied even without kernel-sources...
24 >
25 > I know some other packages look for kernel-sources, but issue
26 > only warning if can not found any (i.e. udev). But why does
27 > kmod need kernel-sources so badly it pulls them as dependency?
30 It doesn't; this is just a side effect of inheriting linux-mod.eclass.
31 The developer involved is trying to come up with a better solution
32 right now.