From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Switching from eudev to udev, disaster.
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 18:47:48
1 >> -----Original Message-----
2 >> From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
3 >> Sent: Monday, November 29, 2021 9:00 PM
4 >> To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 >> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching from eudev to udev, disaster.
6 >>
7 >> On 2021-11-29 22:47-0600 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>
9 >> > Now if I can figure out how to reset the list of /dev/sd* names that
10 >> > are lurking about and inconsistent, that would be like striking gold.
11 >> > Every time I hook up my external drive, it gets a different sd* name.
12 >> > It does the same on the SD cards from my trail cameras too but I can
13 >> > auto mount those.
14 >>
15 >> I don't think it is possible to get consistent sd* names for removable media. But you could use volume labels with `tune2fs -L` or `tune.exfat -L` or `fatlabel` and then mount them via /dev/disk/by-label/*.
16 >>
17 >> Kind regards, tastytea
18 >>
19 >> --
20 >> Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tastytea@××××××××.de` or at <https://tastytea.de/tastytea.asc>.
21
22 Don't even need to do that if you don't care about human beings too much. /dev/disk/by-id has similar links based on drive model and serial number and /dev/disk/by-uuid I think has them by filesystem uuid. All of those should be pretty consistent.
23
24 LMP