From: Bob Wya <bob.mt.wya@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage alternatives
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 15:18:45
1 Michael,
2
3 I tried out paludis a few months ago. I do find Portage can be a bit slow.
4 So I thought great - a "C++ version of Portage"!
5
6 However cave does do much stricter checking and has much more verbose
7 output than emerge (way too much - like eix I guess). I really gave it my
8 best shot to migrate over fully - but had to bale after a couple of weeks
9 of trying to get one clean upgrade cycle. Speed wise - cave was slower than
10 emerge (with no backtracking). So regular day-to-day installs would be
11 quite slow (with the package tree being churned over multiple times).
12
13 I'm sure I'll give it another go at some point... Maybe I was simply using
14 it wrong... But boy it felt like it was for geeks who think "Portage is way
15 too easy - give me something much harder"!!
16
17 Robert
21 On 2 February 2015 at 10:26, Michael Vetter <michael.vetter@××××××××××××.de>