From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] ESATA drive changes the root device -- how to deal with it?
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 15:37:26
1 On Donnerstag 11 Juni 2009, walt wrote:
2 > Okay, my root partition is on /dev/sda (normally), which is a sata
3 > drive connected to the onboard sata controller.
4 >
5 > The problem is that I also have a plug-in ESATA docking station, which
6 > is not always powered on. When it *is* powered on, my kernel names the
7 > disk /dev/sda, and that forces the root device to be named /dev/sdb
8 > instead of sda. Crashing ensues during bootup.
9 >
10 > The machine's BIOS doesn't even recognize the ESATA controller, so
11 > I can't fiddle with anything there.
12 >
13 > Anyone have any ideas how to get a kernel to mount the root partition
14 > based on the pci slot number or something equivalent?
15 >
16 > I've tried using a disk label in fstab instead of a device name, but the
17 > problem is that the kernel mounts the wrong partition before it has a
18 > chance to read fstab.
19 >
20 > I've also tried using rdev to set the root device to the disk's major
21 > and minor numbers but that fails because the kernel switches the minor
22 > device numbers along with the device names.
23 >
24 > Any clues would be much appreciated.
25
26 afaik you can use labels in grub too.