From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:12:38
1 On 02/23/2010 07:42 AM, Stroller wrote:
2 > Some comments were made recently about KDE4, where it was advised "don't
3 > try using just Kmail under a different window manager - use the whole
4 > KDE environment, but not single apps. Use something else instead of Kmail".
5 >
6 > I kept my gob somewhat shut at that time, because I've been using Knode
7 > for a long time on my headless server. I ssh in from my Mac and open
8 > Knode in X11.
9 >
10 > I guess Usenet isn't so popular these days, and I have never been able
11 > to find a Mac native client that I'm happy with.
12 >
13 > I like Knode's simple 3-pane layout. Knode has improved visually with
14 > the KDE4 release, but the much debated KDE4 dependencies thing.
15 >
16 > It has only just occurred to me today to ask if there's an alternative
17 > that looks & acts just the same, but which isn't part of the whole KDE4
18 > environment.
19 >
20 > Any suggestions?
21
22 I'm on KDE4 but I use Thunderbird for both Usenet (including this
23 mailing list through GMane's "mailing-list-to-Usenet" interface) and
24 email. I like the simplicity and using only one app for both.