From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Seeking threading advice in Perl and Apache
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 15:20:19
1 I am hoping to use mod_perl in apache, but there's a decision to be made.
2 Mod_perl insists that if apache has thread support, perl must also have it.
3 I originally enabled the 'threads' USE-flag because I thought it might be
4 useful, but it turns out to affect apache, while leaving Perl unthreaded,
5 and I didn't notice until I went to build mod_perl, and it refused to
6 emerge.
7
8 When I enabled the 'ithread' USE-flag for Perl, it issued a warning that
9 this might not be good for the health of all the packages in the system.
10 Hmmmm.
11
12 So I'm looking for experience and/or advice. Is threaded Perl an okay
13 idea? Is it useful? Come to think of it, what difference does threading
14 make to Apache? Is it generally useful?
15
16 Also: why is mod_python not subject to the same concerns? I notice that
17 I've always build it with -nothreads, which seems to be the default. I
18 guess that means it's okay with threading.
19
20 ++ kevin
23 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD