From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Why does emerge want to downgrade firefox/xul-runner?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:59:42
1 On 08/26/2009 01:01 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 >[...]
3 > I can't remember the reason, but it's a common complaint that Mozilla
4 > products are slower in general on Linux (I even saw an article
5 > claiming the windows version of FF running in WINE can outperform the
6 > native Linux version of FF on the same machine) and I'm certainly one
7 > who has experienced that.
8
9 I did test it and Firefox for Windows beats the hell out of the Linux
10 version in every test. You can search for "javascript benchmark",
11 "firefox benchmark" and stuff like that and take all tests you find.
12 Windows Firefox is always faster. Even running it in Wine under Linux
13 (though slower than native Windows) is much faster than the Linux version.
14
15 Firefox would never get away with this kind of performance with Windows
16 users and it would never become so popular as it is now. Sometimes we
17 just have to face the fact that for Mozilla, we're second-class citizens
18 when compared to Windows users.