From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: e2fsck -a /dev/sdb1
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 08:59:57
1 On 06/16/2017 12:26:07 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 15/06/2017 06:26 μμ, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> I'm trying to repair USB disk (64GB) originally formatted with ext4
4 >>
5 >> I read the USB stick on Windows via some kind of windows ext4 driver
6 >> now I can not open it on Linux box.
7 >>
8 >> e2fsck -a /dev/sdb1
9 >> 64gb: recovering journal
10 >>
11 >> (just stays there and does nothing).
12 >> when I unplug it I get:
13 >>
14 >> e2fsck: No such file or directory while trying to re-open 64gb
15 >
16 > If you don't need the files on the stick (as you mentioned on another
17 > post), then I'd recommend formatting it using exfat. Works on both
18 > Linux
19 > and Windows. Emerge sys-fs/fuse-exfat and mounting exfat sticks will
20 > happen automatically, just like as if it was ext4.
21 >
22 > To format the stick you can use sys-fs/exfat-utils (it installs
23 > mkfs.exfat.) Or format it under Windows. You probably should erase the
24 > partition first under Linux though so that Windows sees all space as
25 > unclaimed. Just remember to select exfat instead of fat32 when you
26 > format it.
29 I've read that one should use SDFormatter version 4 (on Windows)
30
31 Helmut