From: arnuld <geek.arnuld@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT im more just curious
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:59:56
1 > On 4/16/07, Bryan Whitehead <driver@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > Nearly 28. Been using gentoo since version 1.0 (maybe pre-1.0 but can't
4 > remember).
5 >
6 > I started using linux back when slackware fit on a bunch of 5.25" floppies.
7
8 ooohhh.... you are an old time Linux user. i am 26 and i started
9 using Linux 1.5 years ago with Fedora Core 3 and did dual-boot my
10 system with Windows XP and after 6 months i got rid of that crappy OS
11 and made my system fully GNU(ish) . it was Celeron 600 MHz . i loved
12 GNOME too much at that time.
13
14 after some months, i had some trouble with my new D-Link router and
15 felt totally frustrated when i tried Fedora's sysconfig GUI tools and
16 for the 1st time in my life i got a chance to meet my 1st
17 configuration text file "/etc/resolv.conf", next one i hit was
18 "/etc/hosts". it was really difficult and coool.... at the same time
19 because i felt i am controlling my machine which was never possible
20 with Windows. after some more time passed, i installed Debian and used
21 it over a long time and just 3 months ago i started hating Desktop
22 things, i looked into some other distros and used many: gnewSense,
23 KATEOS, SOURCEMAGE, Lunar, Arch and lots of others and my hatred
24 towards Desktop based system grew in large proportions. i tried Gentoo
25 this time and did quit, it looked too weired to me, finally i landed
26 with Arch and ran Xfce on the top of it as Arch Linux forces a user to
27 manage his system using command-line tools BUT that was not what i was
28 looking for. it seems like i had "the GNU OS effect" a.k.a "the UNIX
29 effect" a.k.a "command-line addiction" wired into me and when i read
30 this:
31
32 http://ironphoenix.org/tril/fvwm/
33
34 i came to know i was not the only one, so i finally quit the Xfce and
35 landed onto Window Maker on Arch. i was not satisfied yet and my
36 journey reached at Gentoo Linux, NO Xfce, NO GNOME ....no GUI tools
37 and menus..... i feel good now, i am running Window Maker for now but
38 will switch to another Window Manager where i will make design-use by
39 own hands, like FVWM, IceWM or Sawfish,i am just reading the different
40 articles on these. i think one day i will land on GNU Screen with
41 RatPoison but for now a Window Manager will rule:-)
44 > I now work full time at a startup in the silicon valley watching over 4
45 > datacenters full of CentOS machines (and some Solaris).
48 good got any job for me there... ;-)
49
50 may be i could make some money and buy an LCD monitor, for keeping
51 eyes n good condition
55 http://arnuld.blogspot.com/
56 --
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list