From: Robert Bridge <robert@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Enforcing passphrase protected ssh keys
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:26:57
1 On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:21:41 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wednesday 17 September 2008 13:16:57 Jil Larner wrote:
5 > > Hello,
6 > >
7 > > You cannot. The reason for this is simple : you can copy as many
8 > > times as you wish it your private key in any place. Even if you
9 > > were able to check-up that a private key is passphrase-protected,
10 > > it wouldn't mean every single copy of that key is protected so. And
11 > > the interest of the private key is that only the owners possesses
12 > > it and hides it; thus you shouldn't think about a mensual
13 > > submission of the keyfile to automatically check it is protected,
14 > > because it would open a serious security hole.
15 >
16 > Agreed. The hole I would like to close (or make smaller) is that the
17 > key is the main security between the user's desktop machine and the
18 > core routers on my network. We originally switched to ssh keys
19 > because users will gladly share passwords with each other without
20 > regard for consequences, and the administration of this is a
21 > nightmare.
22 >
23 > Keys make for better security, but I would like it to be even better.
24 > I also want to have my facts 100% straight - if I tell my boss "it
25 > can't be done" I like to show research to back it up. There's nothing
26 > worse than saying something can't be done, and someone else in the
27 > room immediately says how it can be done ... :-)
28
29 You could use keys AND passwords for the SSH. It should be trivial to
30 set PAM up for it...