From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT]Real compute cycles in a laptop?
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 03:24:04
1 Hi,
2 I'm in the market for a new laptop. I sold mine about a year ago
3 and it's time to get a new one. I will run both Linux and Win XP on
4 the machine. The Linux workload will not be anything substantial but
5 when in Win XP I have a program that I'll be running that is very
6 compute bound on my only XP desktop machine.
7
8 Does anyone know of good comparative data on BogoMIPs in Linux vs.
9 real compute speed for different processors? I'm looking for some way
10 to compare different processors in the laptops I'm looking at vs. my
11 current XP desktop which is my slowest machine.
12
13 The application under Windows is doing neural network stuff. I have
14 no idea how much of it is floating point based but my assumption is
15 that is a pretty big part of the whole picture. Is the AMD FPU still
16 superior to the Intel FPU or are they at parity these days?
17
18 The current machine has 768MB. The application never uses more than
19 256MB and there is no significant disk I/O but the processor sits at
20 100% in XP for hours doing it's work optimizing the neural network.
21
22 Thanks in advance for any pointers.
23
24 Cheers,