From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] win32codecs on an ARM architecture?
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 16:26:00
1 On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 21:28:10 +0000, Daniel Quinn
2 <expendable.0@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > I have 3 Sheevaplugs (http://www.marvell.com/featured/plugcomputing.jsp)
4 > which
5 > all run ARM cpus. For the most part I've had very few problems setting
6 > these
7 > up to run Gentoo but now I'm trying to have one of them run Mencoder to
8 > record
9 > CBC's The National from an MMS stream and I'm having this problem:
10 >
11 > Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported
12 >
13 > I can only assume that this is due to the fact that mplayer won't emerge
14 > with
15 > the win32codecs USE flag, probably relating the architecture I'm using.
16 > Isn't
17 > there a way to make this work? Emulate an x86 space or something? I'm
18 > rather
19 > new at working across architectures so I'm kinda poking around in the
20 dark
21 > here.
22
23 I don't think so.
24
25 win32codecs install some dll files which come precompiled from
26 windows. There's no way to change that, they are dll's compiled
27 for x86. They work only for that arch. That's why chosing
28 closed formats is *never* a good idea.
29
30 Your best bet is the try the absolute latest ffmpeg and pray that
31 they have included support for the concrete format you need.
34 Jesús Guerrero