From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sabayon
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 10:52:42
1 On Sunday 24 September 2006 11:32, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 11:04:40 +0100, Mick wrote:
3 > > > "Sabayon differs from Gentoo in that instead of installing the entire
4 > > > operating system from source code, the initial install is made using
5 > > > pre-compiled binary packages."
6 > > >
7 > > > How is this different from a standard Gentoo install?
8 > >
9 > > I presume that the statement may refer to a stage 3 Vs a stage 1
10 > > install?
11 >
12 > A Stage 3 is the standard Gentoo install, which seems remarkably similar
13 > to what Sabayon is offering and nothing like what they claim Gentoo does.
14
15 Indeed. I don't know when they started, or when that statement was penned,
16 but it may have been back in the day when we were all bootstrapping our
17 systems.
18 --
19 Regards,
20 Mick