From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] source /etc/profile valid for all current and future sessions
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 13:22:41
1 On Friday 03 November 2006 14:18, Marco Calviani wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 > i have a question regarding the use of global environmental
4 > variables: as root i've changed some variables inside /etc/env.d.
5 > I've updated the database with env-update and sourced them with
6 > source /etc/profile. For this changes to become available to all
7 > users i have to issue a source /etc/profile for every users AND also
8 > for future sessions. The changes become "standard" only if i reboot
9 > the machine. How is it possible to perform this changes for every
10 > users without rebooting?
11
12 I think you misunderstand the shell start up sequence, a reboot has
13 nothing to do with this topic at all.
14
15 If a setting is in /etc/profile then it will be used for every *new*
16 session for every user from here on out.
17
18 You only have to source /etc/profile in sessions that are already
19 running when you change any of the shell start up files.
20
21 alan
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list