From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sudo echo
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 23:51:51
1 On Thursday 23 March 2006 16:33, JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] sudo echo':
3 > If you type something like the following:
4 >
5 > "> /tmp/myfile.foo"
6 >
7 > It will truncate the file. I use it when I want to clear out logs real
8 > quick. I can sudo su and then just type (without the quotes):
9 >
10 > "> /var/log/mail/current"
11 >
12 > and have a clean log. However to do that I need to be root and the
13 > only thing I found is to sudo su and then type the command and then
14 > exit from root.
15
16 Try:
17 sudo /bin/bash -c '> /var/log/mail/current'
18 or, if that doesn't work:
19 sudo /bin/bash -c ': > /var/log/mail/current'
20
21 Shells handle redirection and pipes, sudo does not, AFAIK.
24 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
25 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
26 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
27 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list