From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 18:44:36
1 Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg) wrote:
2 > On 2013-03-31, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg) wrote:
4 >>> On 2013-03-31, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> Pandu Poluan wrote:
6 >>>>>
7 >>>>> Since it's obvious that upsteam has this "my way or the highway"
8 >>>>> mentality, I'm curious about whether eudev (and mdev) exhibits the
9 >>>>> same behavior...
10 >>>>>
11 >>>> I synced yesterday and I didn't see the news alert. Last eudev update
12 >>>> was in Feb. so I *guess* not. It seems to be a "udev" thing. That is
13 >>>> why I mentioned eudev to someone else that was having this issue with a
14 >>>> server setup.
15 >>> I'd guess eudev will eventually do the same, although I hope that, it
16 >>> being a separate codebase, makes it easier to adopt some solution like
17 >>> the old rule generator, instead of using udev's approach.
18 >>>
19 >>> The udev upstream may have its issues, but there's actually a point in
20 >>> removing this, the approach there was so far was just a dirty hack.
21 >>>
22 >>
23 >> Thing is, it works for me. The old udev worked, eudev works but I'm not
24 >> sure what hoops I would have to go through to get the new udev working,
25 >> most likely the same ones others here are going through now. For once,
26 >> I'm not having to deal with some broken issue. < knock on wood >
27 >>
28 >> My current uptime is about 190 days. May hit it still but I'm certainly
29 >> hoping I don't.
30 > And, at least now, I have got enough knowledge to know whether it
31 > affects me or not. But the sad thing is that I got most of that
32 > knowledge *after* the first of these versions without the old script was
33 > stabilized.
37 I switched to eudev when the separate /usr thing popped up. While I am
38 watching this thread and sort of taking mental notes, I'm hoping this is
39 not a eudev thing, even in the future.
40
41 I'm just hoping people will be able to find a solution to this that
42 works well for them. I especially wish that for those managing a remote
43 system with little or no physical access.
44
45 Dale
46
50 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!