From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hoping someone can help explain distcc to me
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 16:30:19
1 On Sunday 21 August 2011 14:53:15 Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2
3 > That would help as I'm planning on setting this up myself as well for my
4 > netbook.
5
6 Right. I have two Konsoles open on my workstation, which is the compilation host. In one I "su -" and in the
7 other I "ssh serv" (this is the client Atom box, which among other things runs http-replicator to serve the
8 portage tree to the LAN). Naming is going to get confusing if I'm not careful, so I'll refer to the ssh session as
9 "Atom" and the compilation host as "Host". Then my steps are:
10
11 Host: # /etc/init.d/atom start (this is the script I showed yesterday)
12 # linux32 chroot /mnt/atom /bin/bash
13 # env-update && . /etc/profile
14
15 Atom: $ sudo emerge --sync && sudo eix-update
16
17 Host: # emerge --sync && emerge -auvD -j 5 --changed-use --keep-going world
18
19 Atom: $ sudo emerge -auDkv --jobs=3 --changed-use --with-bdeps y --keep-going world
20
21 Host: (various clean-up operations such as depclean, eclean and localepurge)
22 # exit
23 # /etc/init.d/atom stop
24
25 Atom: (similar cleaning up)
26 $ exit
27
28 That's it as far as I remember.
29
30 > Is there a way to automate the steps inside the chroot without having to
31 > have a script inside the chroot?
32
33 I'd be reluctant to try to automate it any more than this. It's about as simple to use as can be and as I want it.
34 I've set up aliases for most of those long commands to save my wrists, and of course command-line recall is
35 wonderful. The task that takes longest is portage on the Atom calculating what packages it needs to emerge
36 from.
37
38 I try not to forget to copy any USE-flag changes etc between the Atom and the chroot, but of course I'm no
39 more than human.
42 Rgds
43 Peter Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23