From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: really old box for a firewall
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 01:44:11
1 alex stone <compose59 <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > So with that in mind, i have an interest in turning a very old box i
5 > have here (pentium-mmx) into a firewall/router.
8 Ah, I do this all the time.
11 Use knoppix to boot your target mmx system into a viable linux.
12 Follow the handbook and get the system so you can ssh into it.
13 Run 'lspci' and note what hardware you have, for building a
14 kernel later on.
15
16 Once you go chroot and grab the tarballs
17
18 (Code Listing 2.5: Unpacking the stage
19 # tar xvjpf stage3-*.tar.bz2 )
20
21 and
22
23 (Code Listing 3.4: Extracting the Portage snapshot
24 # tar xvjf /mnt/gentoo/portage-latest.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/gentoo/usr)
27 Continue to follow the handbook.
30 It's kind of funky, but, gentoo does not really support
31 it's own install media anymore. I think it's
32 some sort of test, to see how thick your
33 skin is.....
37 Understand that we now have "autobuilds" but the docs
38 have not been updated to reflect those changes yet.
39
40 hth,
43 James