From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT worth upgrading hardware ?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:47
1 On Sunday 02 October 2005 09:12, Dave S wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I have a PIII 700Mhz, 256MB RAM, Finances are somewhat tight (read that
5 > as very tight) but I could do with some more speed when playing with
6 > python scripts + KDE can be a tad sluggish.
7 >
8 > The processor is going to have to be either a ...
9 >
10 > Intel Celeron 2.4GHz 128K 400MHz Socket 478 CPU OEM - 512MB RAM
11 > AMD Sempron 2800+ 2.0GHz (333FSB) 256K Cache Socket A OEM - 512 MB RAM
12 >
13 > The GHz sound impressive but I know neither chip is a very powerful, I
14 > believe they 'water down' the internals !. I cant find anywhere a
15 > comparison between my PIII & these two possibilitys.
16 >
17 > My PIII is old technology, these two are newer technology with faster
18 > clock speeds but engineered to a price, would the speed increase be
19 > noticeable ? Any comments ?
20 >
21 > Dave
22
23 the most impact would come from the bigger ram ;)
24 The ram upgrade alone would be very noticeable - the cpu-upgrade would mostly
25 result in a little bit faster compile times.
26
27 But I would go for the sempron - most of the time the cpus are waiting for the
28 ram - and the bigger the cache, the bigger the chance, that the data is
29 already there. Plus it is 'exclusive' cache, everything in L1 won't be cached
30 in L2 too - while in clereons/P4 the same stuff can be in L1 and L2.. wasting
31 space (or was so, the last time I read about it..)
32
33 btw, aren't socket 754-boards&semprons in the same financial range like the
34 socket a stuff?
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list