From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] confused about suid
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:15:47
1 On 28 January 2006 09:55, Robert Persson wrote:
2 > I am trying to create a script so users can execute a certain command as
3 > root without entering a password. I thought suid was the way to do this,
4 > but I am not having any success.
5 >
6 > The command I want to execute as root is "echo -n mem > /sys/power/status".
7 >
8 > I created a bash script (/usr/local/bin/suspendtoram) like so:
9 >
10 > #!/bin/bash
11 > echo -n mem > /sys/power/status
12 >
13 > then set owner and group to root:root and made the script suid.
14 >
15 > However this doesn't work. The error message goes:
16 >
17 > /usr/local/bin/suspendtoram: line 2: /sys/power/state: Permission denied
18
19 Your script is suid root but neither the shell executing it nor the external
20 command /bin/echo is.
21
22 Uwe
25 Unix is sexy: