From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cups can't see my USB printer
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 12:15:15
1 On Sunday, 17 February 2019 11:39:21 GMT IMAP wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > After a long spell of no printing, I'm trying to get my mono laser working
5 > again. I'm in the lp group, and the USB interface seems to be working:
6 >
7 > # lsusb | grep Kyocera
8 > Bus 003 Device 008: ID 0482:000e Kyocera Corp. FS-1020D Printer
9
10 OK, the USB stack is working. Check your user is also in the lpadmin and
11 plugdev groups.
14 > But the KDE system settings applet can't see the printer, nor can Firefox at
15 > http://localhost:631/. I've tried adding a manual configuration, but the
16 > printer is still not found.
17 >
18 > I even tried the kernel module usblp, but that didn't find it either so I
19 > got rid of the module.
20
21 From what I recall this module should no longer be used with cups - but it's
22 been at least a decade since I used cups with USB.
25 > Do I have a defunct printer?
26
27 Check dmesg to make sure nothing untoward is reported by the kernel.
28
29 Have a quick look at lpstat. For example, 'lpstat -v' should list your
30 printer.
33 Regards,
34 Mick