From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] extending /usr partition...
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 21:13:52
1 With all the words of LVM2 going on, I feel it is only appropriate to also mention the risk.
2
3 On a desktop I had installed LVM2 considering that I did need to upgrade partitions every now and then and my previous solution was add another drive/partition and cross mount - e.g. like done with /usr/local under /usr, which worked fairly well. LVM2 worked great - until one of the drives crashed and I was trying to figure out what was on it. From that pov, volume management is a pain. I did figure out what I had mounted to it - but only after deconstructing the LVM configuration file to match it up with what I had put there. (And no, I had not yet gotten to doing an LVM soft-RAID solution to map a single LVM partition to two drives, which would certainly have helped.) I got my system working by adding a new drive that was not part of the volume group, and removing the old drives from the volume group. Fortunately, I had my volume setup so that they one partition was not made up of non-overlaping partitions on different drives. (e.g. partition A =
4 sda1 + sda2 instead of sda1 + sdb1.)
5
6 So, unless you are looking to use LVM in a soft-RAID solution between multiple physical drives, not multiple partitions on the same drive, (e.g. partition A = sda1 + sda2, with mirror on sdb1+sdb2), then I would not suggest it as should anything happen, it'll make data recovery that much harder.
7
8 Just 2 cents for the pot.
9
10 Ben
14 ----- Original Message ----
15 From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
16 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
17 Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2009 4:57:55 PM
18 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] extending /usr partition...
19