From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Checking an HD for problems
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:50:59
1 On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I just switched to a new WD Caviar Black hard drive (really fast and
3 > quiet!) and I noticed some errors when I was cp -ax'ing everything
4 > from my old drive to the new drive which were accompanied by loud
5 > clicks.  Is there a way to do a comprehensive test/check of the old
6 > drive to see if it has any problems?
7 >
8 > - Grant
9
10 I know it's not a popular solution here in Linux-land, and it's pretty
11 slow for large drives, but I still use SpinRite for that sort of
12 thing.
13
14 As a quick test, if the old drive has S.M.A.R.T. is to read the data
15 held in the drive to tell you if the on-board controller is seeing
16 problems.
17
18 Hope this helps,
19 Mark