From: Raffaele Belardi <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Inconsistent behavior in my Gentoo OS instance
Date: Tue, 02 May 2017 08:32:08
1 Miroslav Rovis wrote:
2 > gzip apparently inconsistent behavior occupies the most part of the report on
3 > inconsistencies here (esp. the script make_gzip_archives_consistent.sh).
4
5 Checked on my system, same behaviour, looking inside the gzip file you see why. I used
6 shed but strings is easier:
7
8 $ strings eix-installed-after_1.gz
9 eix-installed-after_1
10 ...
11
12 $ strings eix-installed-after_2.gz
13 eix-installed-after_2
14 ...
15
16 gzip stores the filename in the compressed file so the files differ.
17
18 But you get different results even if you use the same file name, so digging into the file
19 format (e.g. http://www.zlib.org/rfc-gzip.html#file-format) you find that gzip stores the
20 MTIME (Modification TIME) in the file header, so even equally-named files will also differ.
21
22 HTH, I did not have the time to go through your long email completely.
23
24 raffaele