From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: tensorflow-2.5.0-r1 compilation failed
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 16:16:33
1 <SNIP>
2 >
3 > Thank you for your reply, Mark.
4 >
5 > Unfortunately, you missed my previous message in this thread
6 > where I wrote that I do have Ubuntu 20.04 on the same computer.
7 > However, tensorflow fails to run on it because it is not compiled
8 > to be inconsistent with my videocard. So, Gentoo is my only option
9 > for this hardware.
10 >
11 <SNIP>
12
13 My apologies. This thread has gone on for a while and I had to review
14 to get caught up.
15
16 OK, so assuming I understand correctly (please correct me if I do
17 not) then you are talking about ONE computer that uses an AMD
18 Phenom II X4 processor. This computer dual boots, or is a Gentoo
19 machine with an Ubuntu VM.
20
21 In an earlier response to this thread you
22 showed the flags supported by this processor which did not include
23 the AVX, AVX2 or the FMA3/FMA4 flags. It is my understanding
24 that this processor cannot run the current versions of tensorflow
25 whether you compile it yourself or not, at least in the non-GPU
26 version.
27
28 WRT to your video card, tensorflow does not require the use
29 of a GPU. There are two versions, tensorflow-cpu and
30 tensorflow-gpu. If you were to build the -cpu version then it
31 is my understanding it would run an a headless machine,
32 presuming the processor has AVX/AVX2/FMA hardware
33 support.
34
35 If the processor DOES have AVX/FMA support but you were having
36 problems emerging TF in Gentoo then a virtual machine running
37 Ubuntu might have helped you as you could use a precompiled
38 apt or snap package. However I don't think anything gets you
39 past not having AVX/FMA hardware support.
40
41 I am in the same situation. My big machine is an Intel i7 980
42 Extreme. I used to be able to run TF but have not been able
43 to since Google raised the CPU requirements.
44
45 If I am not understanding your hardware setup, or you think
46 there is a path around the AVX/FMA hardware problem
47 please let me know and I'll explore it more deeply with you.
48
49 Cheers,
50 Mark