From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT: NAS] linux based storage solutions
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 18:39:00
1 > Being an Event Videographer one runs into hefty space
2 > requirments very quickly.
3 > I'm running 4 machines.... 3 are loaded for video editing and other
4 > graphics intensive stuff like photoshop and all the adobe tools.
5 > They have large drives but very quickly I've begun to need more
6 > massive storage accessable to all.
7 > My main desktop is gentoo linux but it doesn't figure largely in the
8 > video work.
9 > I'm looking at NAS [Network attached storage] appliances and finding
10 > they are either too simple and small or too expensive.
11 > Anyone here using a linux based solution for this kind of need?
12 > Any input on this would be most welcome.
13 > I'm thinking of getting a cheapish machine at 3.2 Ghz or so with a
14 > motherboard that allows at least 4 HDD maybe as many as 6.
15 > Using gentoo on the box for networking and it must have at least 2
16 > gigabit eithernet adapters. I guess serving the windows boxes thru
17 > smb.
18 > The drives would be NTFS filesystems.
19 > Are there known problems with this kind of setup? Like maybe samba
20 > would choke on moving huge amounts of data or something?
21 > What raid configurations might be good for this?
24 I've never used this myself. It was highly recommended on another list:
25 http://www.xyratex.com/products/storage/index.asp
26
27 and was recommended on this thread:
28 http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-05/msg01564.php