From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] openrc->systemd command comparison
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 17:20:53
1 On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 03/17/2015 06:56 AM, Bob Wya wrote:
3 >> I've not seen any that are OpenRC specific... But this one is pretty
4 >> decent for SysVInit vs. systemd...
5 >> http://linoxide.com/linux-command/systemd-vs-sysvinit-cheatsheet/
6 >
7 > Yeah I found one similar to that, but located elsewhere. Maybe if I have
8 > some time today I'll do some research and create an openrc-specific one
9 > on the wiki. This way it'll help others (besides me.)
10
11 The cheat sheets are useful for reference, but I'd strongly encourage
12 anybody using systemd to get a decent understanding of the
13 fundamentals.
14
15 I gave a presentation along these lines which can be found at:
16 https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1YpW7h-sUSXtmroppd-S46dxtPYo3rcF32rh7vF99aVs/edit?usp=sharing
17
18 (granted, that wasn't really designed to stand completely on its own)
19
20 Some key concepts you should understand:
21 1. Targets as "virtuals" - if you think about them the way you'd
22 think about a virtual package you'll probably grok it.
23 2. Before/After/Wants/Requires and what they actually mean
24 3. Drop-ins
25 4. Creating dependencies using /etc/systemd/system/foo.xxx.d
26 symlinks, and how these tie into enabling services
27
28 Just as with openrc there are a lot of building blocks which are used
29 to create a working configuration, there are many ways to do the same
30 thing, and some of those ways are usually better than others. The
31 overall design is somewhat different, so you need to look at things
32 differently to make the most of it.
35 Rich