From: andrey larin <ubergitler@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Migrating RAID: Degraded RAID5 from RAID1?
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 07:31:48
1 let suppose
2 sda and sdb is raid 1 md1
3 and new sdc
4 remove sdb from raid
5 mdadm /dev/md1 -f /dev/sdb
6 mdadm /dev/md1 -r /dev/sdb
7 then create degraded raid 5
8 don't forget md1 is still running
9 mdadm --create /dev/md2 --level 5 -n 3 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc missing
10 then copy all data from md1 to md2
11 fix /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf
12 destroy md1
13 and add sda to md2
16 2009/11/28 Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
17
18 > Hello list,
19 >
20 > Currently I have two terabyte hard disks in a RAID1 configuration
21 > using software RAID. What I'd like to do is add a third disk and
22 > arrive at the end with a RAID5 array. The problem is I have limited
23 > disk space and not enough room to back up all of the data on the array
24 > in its current form. What I'd like to know is if it is possible to
25 > use two disks to make a degraded RAID5 array, move the data onto it
26 > from one of the mirror disks, and then add the mirrored disk into the
27 > new array?
28 >
29 > Thanks,
30 > D