From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fed up with Xorg + hal mess [SOLVED]
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 18:42:23
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Harry Putnam writes:
5 >> Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
6 >>
7 >>> I also know the SysReq key trick now. It can take you back to a
8 >>> console.
9 >>>
10 >> I'll bite ... what is it?
13 > Some magic commands involving the SysRq key allow actions even if the system
14 > hangs and does not respond. Alt-SysRq-R for example resets the keyboard and
15 > allows one to switch back to a text console then. Works only once for me,
16 > though.
17 > Others allow to kill processes, sync the filesystem, and such. The
18 > combination Alt-SysRq-R-E-I-S-U-B reboots a hanging PC without file system
19 > corruption.
20 >
21 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
22 >
23 > Wonko
28 That's the one. I think its either the second or third key that makes
29 it go back to a console. It is nice to know about. I have it taped to
30 my wall for reference. It beats having to pull the plug without a
31 proper shutdown.
32
33 Dale
34