From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Errors in nonexistent partitions
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 08:04:14
1 On Monday, September 14, 2020 9:48:07 AM CEST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 13 September 2020 17:05:22 BST Wols Lists wrote:
3 > > On 13/09/20 13:26, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4
5 > Just before this started, I booted Win-10 on /dev/sdb and ran its update
6 > process.
7 >
8 > I don't use it for anything at the moment, just keeping it up to
9 > date in case I ever do. I do this most weeks, but is it possible that
10 > Win-10 tampered in some way that it hasn't before? I'm seeing these errors
11 > on /dev/ sda (which does have an NTFS partition) and /dev/nvme0n1 (which
12 > does not), but not on /dev/sdb.
13
14 This right here can be the problem.
15 My laptop is dual-boot and I had a few times my boot-process was killed
16 because MS Windows 10 likes to, randomly, add additional partitions for it's
17 restore stuff. It will happily resize existing partitions to make room.
18
19 If the partition layout is not something MS considers "normal", you get into
20 these issues.
23 Joost