From: CJoeB <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Still Struggling With Wireless
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 23:04:55
1 On 08/17/10 10:55, Jake Moe wrote:
2 > On 08/17/10 11:55, Adam Carter wrote:
3 >>> Hi,
4 >>>
5 >>> I'm biting the bullet here and asking for help. Yes! I've posted
6 >>> before. And before anyone asks, I have read the responses to my
8 >>> the wikis - ad nauseum. I'm still having problems with wireless.
9 >>>
10 >> I use wpa_supplicant to provide the wifi crypto.
11 >>> So, I'm left with trying to use the iwl3945 driver in the kernel. I
12 >>> followed the wiki for setting this up and thought I had succeeded. I
13 >>> got to the point where I was told to type the following:
14 >>> ifconfig wlan0 up (this does activate the wireless led on my computer)
15 >>> iwlist wlan0 scan
16 >>> iwconfig wlan0 essid "network name" (where the network name is the
17 >>> essid that has been set)
18 >>>
19 >>> When I got this to work, I thought I was home free despite the "kludgy"
20 >>> way of getting wireless working. However, I rebooted and now, when I
21 >>> type iwlist wlan0 scan I get told that scanning is not supported. Yes,
22 >>> I have iwl3945-ucode installed and yes, it was recompiled after the
23 >>> kernel was rebuilt.
24 >>>
25 >>> I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
26 >> Forgetting to post up your configs :) eg /etc/conf.d/net etc
27 > I've used the iwl3945 on a few HP laptops without much problem. The few
28 > problems I had were related to switching the wireless on and off; I'd
29 > have to rmmod and modprobe kernel modules to get it working again.
30 >
31 > Does "ifconfig" list the interface? If not, what does "ifconfig wlan0
32 > up" do? What about the output of "iwconfig"? And going for the obvious
33 > here, any chance that the wireless is turned off?
34 >
35 > Jake Moe
38 iwconfig lists the interface as wlan0
39
40 I discovered last night after sending my original message that my
41 symlink was wrong - I used to have net.eth0 and net.eth1 pointing to
42 net.lo. However, last night I removed the net.eth1 symlink and created
43 the net.wlan0 symlink to net.lo. Now when I boot the computer, my
44 wireless comes up and the LED comes on, but then it times out because (I
45 assume) it can't establish a connection.
46
47 This is my /etc/conf.d/net file. Note that the "any" used to work when
48 I used the ipw3945 driver. I would scan for available networks. I
49 tried last night to change the "any" to the essid printed on my Bell
50 router, but that didn't work.
53 # This blank configuration will automatically use DHCP for any net.*
54 # scripts in /etc/init.d. To create a more complete configuration,
55 # please review /etc/conf.d/net.example and save your configuration
56 # in /etc/conf.d/net (this file :]!).
57
58 #preup() {
59 # if [[ ${IFACE} = "wlan0" ]]; then
60 # sleep 3