From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Multilib ABI specific CPU use flags?
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 07:55:46
1 On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 03:47:42AM +0000, Jonathan Yong wrote:
2 > The notion that I am unable to fix a problem myself, on a system that I own,
3 > because of some technicality, even as a temporary measure is disconcerting.
4 > Controlling every piece of how a software is configured, built and installed
5 > is why I love Gentoo's portage system so much.
6
7 We cannot possibly be expected to have the knowledge to fix every single issue
8 which might arise on our systems. Linux, and Gentoo in particular, is great due
9 to the freedom it offers. Just because you do not know how to fix a problem
10 immediately, does not mean you cannot learn.
11
12 I would be more disconcerted if I was using a Windows or iOS system, in which
13 the vendor(s) intentionally take steps to prevent users from fixing tricky
14 problems like these, delegating the responsibility to their technically
15 incompetent front-line support teams. A lack of hand-holding and presumed-
16 ability is not a need for concern, but more of an opportunity to grow.
17
18 P.S. Do you know you're sending most messages twice, one signed, and one not?
22 Ashley Dixon
23 suugaku.co.uk
26 DA96 D18A
27 8A7B B0D2