From: "Steve [Gentoo]" <gentoo_steve@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Daily dumb question... chron.
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:11:03
1 Because I need my Gentoo server to perform periodic tasks on my behalf I
2 new I needed some implementation of "cron" - and after a brief
3 investigation I settled on fcron as I liked the idea that I could give
4 flexible scheduling in order to allow the OS to delay processing in the
5 event of heavy system load. I've written a couple of my own
6 administration tasks (to be run as my own non-root user) and these work
7 fine.
8
9 I've noticed the directories /etc/cron.daily; /etc/cron.hourly;
10 /etc/cron.monthly etc. and therein a bunch of non-user-specific
11 administration tasks... For example, in ./etc/cron.daily I've
12 logrotate.cron and rulesdujour - but none of these appear to have run in
13 the last month. Are thse system tasks supposed to be fired
14 automatically by fcron? What would be the easiest way to get all my
15 periodic system administration tasks defined in these directories to be
16 fired automatically? Did I make a sensible choice with fcron?
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list