From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive click of death?
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2015 18:44:20
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [15-10-03 11:44]:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > Recently I noticed that an old drive is clicking 3 or 4 times when it is
5 > powered up. Thereafter is stays quiet. I think it is a mechanical fault,
6 > because I placed the box on its side and the drive did not click when booting
7 > up.
8 >
9 > I ran smartctl short/long/conveyance tests and no errors are reported.
10 >
11 > In your experience is this something to concern myself with? There is not
12 > business critical data on the drive at present.
13 > --
14 > Regards,
15 > Mick
16
17 Hi Mick,
18
19 I had a drive doing similiar things whith comparable "features".
20 In my case it was a defective cable, which gave good contact when
21 the drive was put on its side due the slight drill of the cable.
22 But it is less likely as what the other said, though...
23
24 HTH!
25 Best regards,
26 Meino