From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} High capacity backup plan needed
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 18:37:05
1 On Samstag, 9. August 2008, Matt Harrison wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > | what about a nice little tapelib - used from ebay? DLT and LTO drivers
4 >
5 > are
6 >
7 > | extremly robust. The tape cardridges can endure a lot of punishment
8 >
9 > and are
10 >
11 > | made to lay around for years, waiting for the emergency. You even can
12 >
13 > write to
14 >
15 > | it over a network/the internet (mbuffer+tar).
16 >
17 > It would be perfect if the more high-end backup devices weren't so
18 > pricey. My guess would that the tape size of a (cheap) DLT or LTO would
19 > be so small that it would take days to backup with close to 1Tb.
20 >
21 > avg size of a cheap DLT from ebay 20/40, so thats ~20Gb if you're
22 > talking mp3s. 1024Gb / 20Gb = 52 tapes. I wouldn't spend 5 days changing
23 > tapes only to start the backup again next week :D plus the price of even
24 > those old tapes would be a worry at that number.
25 >
26 > I know this wasn't my thread, but I'm always interested in backup
27 > solutions that don't cost a packet, so I thought I'd chime in :)
28 >
29 > Matt
30
31 I have a tapelib with 8 slots - bought for 100¤ - that is 280gb/560gb and no
32 tape juggling needed. But even if you pay say 300¤ for a nice LTO, after you
33 have written a couple of tapes it is cheaper than harddisks - and faster.