From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Half error message on attempting to access You Tube from Firefox
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 20:49:43
1 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 01:24:59AM +0100, Stroller wrote
4 >
5 > > Personally, I would probably also try a later version of Firefox.
6 > >
7 > > I appreciate that 31.x is the latest stable version, but I doubt newer
8 > > versions are actually unstable in any way, and if I google "youtube
9 > > html5 firefox" I find that "Google will enforce the use of HTML5
10 > > video on YouTube for all Firefox users who use Firefox 33 or newer",
11 > > "FYI: Firefox 35 uses the HTML5 video player in Youtube by default"
12 > > and "Firefox 37 Released With Native HTML5 YouTube Playback"
13 >
14 > I've picked up a few tricks that seem to work some of the time. This
15 > is with Seamonkey, but should work with standard Firefox...
16 >
17 > 1) Set up a separate profile for Youtube, and disable the Flash plugin
18 > only for that profile (never thought I'd say that).
19 >
20 > 2) If a video won't play, remove "&hd=1" at the end of the URL. That
21 > sometimes helps.
22 >
23 > 3) Warning... bleeding edge & crash-prone. In about:config toggle
24 > media.mediasource.enabled to "true".
25
26 I think this is the default. Also, I have had several occasions where
27 the profile somehow got corrupted and the video would not play, I had to
28 create a new profile and then it worked.
31 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
32 How do
33 you spend it?
34
35 John Covici