From: Daniel Barkalow <barkalow@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Init scripts waiting for deps in progress
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 17:15:01
1 I have the following set of init stuff:
2
3 net.wireless depends on ipw3945d
4 ntp-client depends on net
5 net.wireless automagically starts when the interface "wireless" appears
6 net.wireless is in the boot runlevel
7
8 When I boot the computer, it starts ipw3945d before net.wireless, but not
9 in time for the "wireless" interface to appear before it tries to start
10 net.wireless. Moments later, the interface appears, and it runs
11 net.wireless again, asynchronously, and it spends a while starting up (it
12 has to find the correct network, and dhcp, etc).
13
14 While net.wireless is starting up, the system synchronously starts
15 ntp-client, which attempts to start net.wireless; this fails (it's already
16 starting), and so ntp-client fails. Then the asynchronous net.wireless
17 finishes starting, and I have network, but no ntp-client.
18
19 Is there some way to teach start-stop-daemon that, if a dependancy fails
20 because it is already starting up, this means you should wait for it, not
21 give up? The other stuff is a bit odd, but ultimately harmless, aside from
22 the fact that stuff gets confused by this situation.
23
24 -Daniel
25 *This .sig left intentionally blank*
26 --