From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backups
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 04:00:48
1 On 9/29/07, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > > > Do you back up anything other than /etc and /home on a standard
4 > system?
5 > > >
6 > > > - Grant
7 > >
8 > > /var because with /var gone its complete-reinstall time.
9 >
10 > What about splitting tar.gz files across multiple CDs? Can that be done?
11 >
12 > - Grant
13 > --
14 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
17 A lot of things you're asking for can be accomplished with a script I've
18 used (and successfully recovered with) called a stage 4 backup [1]. It's
19 just your standard bash script that uses tar, gzip, bzip2, etc. to create
20 manageable backups. I have my server set to backup once a month (I don't
21 make significant changes to it very often).
22
23 [1] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Custom_Stage4
26 - Mark Shields