From: Anielkis Herrera Gonzalez <aherrerag@×××.cu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [ot] python + http authentication (with cherrypy)
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 02:37:45
1 did you tried django as web framework ???
2
3 El lun, 07-07-2008 a las 21:15 -0400, James escribió:
4 > Hi All,
5 >
6 > I'm writing a web application in CherryPy. What a beautiful thing it
7 > is to write Python code and get a simple yet powerful web output. :)
8 >
9 > The web application needs to have some decent level of security and
10 > authentication implemented.
11 >
12 > The big issue here is that the user password is stored in a database
13 > and algorithmically calculated as follows:
14 > md5( md5( $password ) + salt ) )
15 >
16 > The salt is also stored in the database (which I have full access to).
17 > I can easily use the md5 library to compare what a user gives me and
18 > see if that's the correct password (based on the salt and the stored
19 > password in the database). I'm unsure, however, how to go about
20 > implementing security into my web application.
21 >
22 > CherryPy obviously has a 'session' library in it. But in the periods
23 > of time I've researched writing web applications in the past
24 > (primarily when dealing with PHP), there was always great debate in
25 > how to write a "good" secure web application. (i.e., it becomes tricky
26 > when determining what precisely you should be passing around in terms
27 > of session variables).
28 >
29 > Thoughts? Am I going about this the wrong way? It would be much easier
30 > to use either digest or basic http authentication mechanisms, but I
31 > don't think that this is possible because of the fact that the
32 > password is double-hashed in the database (or am I wrong?).
33 >
34 > Any help appreciated. :o)
35 >
36 > -j
40 Ing. Anielkis Herrera González
41 Desarrollador de Nova
42 Linux User #377809
43
44 Universidad de las Ciencias Informáticas
45 Cuba

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature