From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] leafnode and xinetd?
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 09:03:37
1 On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:20:01PM +0200, James Cloos wrote:
2 > >>>>> "I" == Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 > Leafnode works fine here.
5 >
6 > I> Output of xinetd -d
7 >
8 > Looks fine.
9 >
10 > In addition to the other reply's suggestions, does running
11 > /usr/sbin/leafnode from a root shell work?
12 >
13 > Have you run fetchnews at least once?
16 Thanks, James. The fetchnews part is the only bit that works.
17 I got xinetd running (not sure why it kept crashing, but an update
18 appears to have fixed that), but never was able to use leafnode, as
19 it refuses to allow connections at all of any kind.
20 Did everything by the book, including the news account and all that but
21 just no joy. Firewall lives on a separate machine, so it wasn't that.
22 Tried everything including removing nearly all security just to see if
23 it could work, but nothing. I can connect to various ports for other
24 purposes (mpd, sshd are fine) but leafnode will not accept connections
25 no matter what I do. So unless there's a suggestion I haven't already
26 tried (doubtful, I tend to be thorough as only the obssessive can be)
27 I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "it doesn't work on this system".
28
29 Since there might be all of four gentoo users actually running leafnode,
30 it isn't surprising if it doesn't work on every configuration.
31 :)
34 caveat utilitor