From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ps shows pegasus process running - what is it?
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 09:46:04
1 Hi there,
2
3 I have just found a process called "pegasus" running on my machine.
4 Does anyone know what it is, please?
5
6 # ps -e | grep peg
7 816 ? 00:00:00 pegasus
8 #
9
10 A Google suggested I might be able to find it's path thusly:
11 # ps -e -o pid,args | grep peg
12 816 [pegasus]
13 13927 grep --colour=auto peg
14 #
15
16 But as you can see, no joy. What do the [square brackets] mean, please?
17
18 `locate pegasus` only finds source files to a kernel driver - they
19 appear to relate to a USB network adaptor, as they're in /usr/
20 src/...drivers/net/usb/ however I can't say I've used one of those on
21 this system since it was last rebooted 2 weeks ago. I don't believe
22 this driver is loaded:
23 # lsmod | wc -l
24 49
25 # lsmod | grep peg
26 #
27
28 Obviously one is slightly paranoid when one encounters an unknown
29 process running on one's system, with the thought that one has been
30 hacked. I'm sure this isn't the case, but if someone could tell me
31 what this is it would reassure me and I would be grateful.
32
33 TIA,
34
35 Stroller.