From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] High load, idle CPU?
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 19:38:52
1 Hi list!
2
3 My virtual server seems to have a problem and I don't know how to find it.
4
5 Today, while trying to create a new postgresql database I noticed that
6 certain system operations seem to take ages. Normal work on the shell
7 works just fine but for example accessing the postgresql server through
8 psql, restarting tomcat, postgresql or zope all show the very same behavior:
9 Execution freezes, the load average climbs to 1-1.9 and after a few
10 minutes (maybe longer) the task finishes correctly. During all this
11 time, top reports that the CPUs are 100% idle.
12
13 Other services, for example rsyncd or openvpn, work normally. I also
14 tried restarting the VM. Shutdown took maybe 10 or 15 minutes. Booting
15 was much faster with only a few minutes until all services were up and
16 running. However, it didn't solve the problem.
17
18 So, my question is: How can I find out what is causing this? Can I
19 somehow trace it? Find out why a process waits?
20
21 Keep in mind that this is a virtual server. I have no control over the
22 kernel. Oh, and before you ask: The only recent update was rkhunter from
23 1.2.9-r1 to 1.3.4-r2. I also enabled the chkrootkit weekly cronjob.
24
25 Thanks in advance!
26 Florian Philipp